Monday, August 8, 2011

My best friend is African American and...?

The other day at school in my politics cl we were discussing affirmative action programs and we were given a survey and we had to talk about in what cases affirmative action should be used and one of the cases was "a white man and a black man are both applying for the same job and the white man has better credentials and appears to be overall a better choice for the job. Should the black man be hired anyway?" And then my friend said yes. This really bothers me. Like I'm mad just thinking about it. Should I just let her have her own opinion or should I bring it up to her? I'm really bothered. I'm okay with a black person being hired over a white person if they have equal credentials. Just not this situation. I mean, what kind of workforce are we trying to have in this country? A subpar, incompetent one?

No comments:

Post a Comment